Skip to content
Back to navigation
FAQ and Links

FAQ and Links

  • 1. Why do I have to pay for the assessment?

    At this time there is no standard funding for driving assessments. Like the cost of a vehicle, maintenance, gas and insurance, this is a cost any driver may incur if there are medical or age related changes that may impact driving. This highly professional assessment includes the services of a driving instructor and an occupational therapist. Since it is a health care expense, the cost can be used as a medical expense on personal income taxes. If you have extended health coverage for occupational therapy service, you may be eligible for reimbursement.

  • 2. Why can’t I use my own car for the assessment?

    For safety reasons we require the use of a vehicle with an instructor brake for assessment and training.

  • 3. Why do I need an assessment for memory problems?

    Sometimes when people experience a change in their memory, they experience other changes that they are not aware of and a doctor cannot assess in an office. The driving assessment will target the assessment of the abilities required for driving including an on road assessment to determine actual abilities.

  • 4.What does it mean to be a Ministry of Transportation (MTO) approved program?

    The MTO lays out specific training and service requirements in order to provide driving assessments for the MTO Medical Review Section. Programs must apply to the MTO to provide the service and are subject to audits and ongoing requirements for education and training. If there is an identified medical or age related concern, the MTO relies on the approved driving assessment for further information.

  • 5. I recently passed my age 80+ seminar and testing at the Ministry, why do I have to do this assessment?

    The intention of the Ministry of Transportation age 80+ renewal process is to refresh mature drivers and screen for those who have unreported medical issues. It is not a substitute for a rehabilitation driving assessment.

  • 6. My license is suspended and I have an MTO letter asking for a medical report but my doctor wants an assessment. Why can’t I do the assessment?

    When a license is medically suspended we can request a one day temporary drivers license (TDL) in order to do the assessment. The MTO will not approve a TDL until they receive a medical report verifying that an assessment is appropriate. Your doctor needs to file a medical report first and then we can request a TDL for assessment.

  • 7. I have been driving for many years and have a clean driving record, why do I have to do an assessment now?

    Congratulations for a great driving record! Unfortunately drivers can experience medical and age related changes that can impact driving. If your doctor notes a change that may impact driving they are legally required to report it to the MTO. Your doctor might offer the driving assessment in advance of that report or the MTO may ask for the assessment to ensure you continue to drive safely.

  • 8. My license is suspended for a medical reason. How do I get it back?

    Typically the MTO will require a medical report to consider reinstatement of a drivers license. After a medical report is received, they may require a driving assessment. Contact the MTO 416-235-1773 with your drivers license number to find out what steps you need to take.

  • 9. What does the on road assessment entail?

    Depending on the purpose of the assessment, the on road assessment may involve trials of driving equipment or an overall drive to see how you are managing. For assessments involving a full drive for medical reasons, the drive is longer than an MTO road test (about 35 minutes) and includes all road types. It is not as picky as an MTO test in terms of completing road side stops, parallel parks, three point turns etc but will determine if there is evidence of a medical change impacting driving.

  • 10. How can I prepare for the assessment?

    There is no preparation for the assessment required. It is always a good idea to review and practice the rules of the road (even as a passenger). The Drivers Handbook can be obtained from most retail locations that have an automotive section and is available here:

  • 11. Why do I need training and a prescription to drive with hand controls or a left foot gas?

    Reputable vehicle modifiers do not sell equipment to alter the driving controls of a vehicle unless they have verification that a driver has been assessed for and trained in the use of the equipment. A driver must demonstrate proficiency on all road types in order to be issued a prescription for adaptive driving controls. Once the equipment is listed as a condition is on your license, you will not need a prescription in the future unless your driving needs change.

  • 12. Where do I buy adaptive driving equipment?

    The National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association (NMEDA) is a voluntary organization that sets standards for the vehicle modifier industry. They maintain a list of members in Canada and the US of vendors who are audited and abide by the standards of the organizations. A list of vendors will be provided on the prescription at the completion of the treatment plan.